Traditional air humidifiers
A traditional, or humidifier with natural moisturizing, is a device with a fairly simple device. The air is sent by the fan through a wet filter (it is constantly saturated with water) and comes out moist. Some manufacturers use filters with antibacterial compositions in traditional moisturizers (for traditional humidifiers this is a plus, increases hygiene), and ionizers for air saturation with negatively charged ions that attract moisture.
Advantages of the natural humidifier:
1. The steam is not hot, which means that the device is safe enough.
2. Air can not "over-wet", since there is no forced steam production. Air takes as much as it can at a steady temperature.
3. Low power consumption with large coverage: such humidifiers, consuming 18-20 W, can work in indoor areas of 40-50 m². By the way, if you see in the characteristics of such a large area of coverage, this does not mean that the device is too large for a typical room of 15-18 m² (see item 2).
4. On surfaces (furniture, for example) there is no white coating, which is often the case with an ultrasonic humidifier.
5. Does not require the use of filtered purified water.
Cons of a natural humidifier:
1. Not very high performance in comparison with ultrasonic and steam methods: if you need to increase the humidity level as quickly as possible, such a device is not suitable. Many buyers who bought such a device and have a hygrometer complain that in a few days the moisture level rises by 2-3 percent, but this is normal: the process is slow, and not only air, but also walls, furniture, carpets, etc . You can speed up the process by placing the device next to the radiator: evaporation will be more intense.
2. The fan can be quite noticeable noise, but in general it depends on the model. We advise you to pay attention to the noise level, and better - to "listen" to the device in the store, because the humidifier works around the clock, and often it is bought just for bedrooms and children's rooms to create comfortable conditions for sleep.
3. It is necessary to periodically change the filters. This is not only an additional expense item, it burdens morally: one must understand and remember that it is impossible to exceed the life of the filter - it is dangerous for health. As a rule, the filter is designed for 2-3 months. In addition, it can happen that the manufacturer stops producing filters for your model.
In the title it says everything: the water in the container of such a device is heated, the steam comes out and moistens the air. Water is heated by means of either TENs or electrodes, but the meaning is one: it will be hot. And it's wet. And fast!
Benefits of steam humidifier:
1. Rapid intensive air humidification. Steam humidifiers, working at full power, are able to raise the humidity level in the room much faster than ultrasonic "colleagues", not to mention traditional ones. But this is a "double-edged sword": they too can wet themselves, and thoroughly. Therefore, the presence in the steam humidifier hygrostat - a device that turns off the device when the air reaches a certain level of humidity, is strictly necessary, otherwise it will arrange a bath for you.
2. Contrary to popular misconception, security is quite high. Outgoing steam is not hot, but warm, it can not be burned. Dangerous only the first portion - this, as a rule, there are all kinds of warnings on the body or cover of the device.
3. Hygenic: most microorganisms are neutralized by temperature treatment, the container is constantly sterilized, no filters - bacteria collectors - no. So, you do not need to change them.
4. The efficiency of the operation does not depend on the ambient temperature, as in the traditional humidifier.
5. On furniture and other surfaces there is no white coating, as when using an ultrasonic humidifier with raw water.
Cons of steam humidifier:
1. There is no white coating, but condensate - it may very well, especially if the device is overdone, and the air temperature in the room is not very high.
2. The possibility of exceeding the comfort level of humidity has already been mentioned, but once again we will say. It is in steam humidifiers without hygrostat. You are afraid of waterlogging - use a hygrometer, and it's better, as already mentioned, separate, and not built into the device.
3. On the heating elements, scale is formed: it is necessary to periodically remove it.
4. A large water consumption is 0.6-0.7 liters per hour, so you have to choose either a device with a large tank, or resign yourself, that the time of its operation without refilling is small. Accordingly, the power consumption is also decent - up to 400-500 watts.
5. When the water boils, the appliance is noisy.
Air washing - what is different from a humidifier?
Air washing is a hybrid of a traditional humidifier and air purifier, the device is more functional, powerful (if compared with a conventional traditional humidifier) and often more noisy. Washing works as a traditional humidifier, without heating and ultrasound. Inside the case there is a drum with plastic discs or rollers, usually with a special antibacterial coating. The drum rotates, its discs and rollers are about a third in the water. The fan pumps air from the room into the body of the sink, where it is cleaned by this drum: dust and other mechanical air pollution is retained by the rolls and discs and immediately washed off at the bottom of the device in the pan. The humidified purified air flows out.
Very often air filters do not install filters at all, rightly believing that it is enough to wash away dust, pollen and all contaminants with water. Then washing does not require consumables, but you still need to remove the dirty water from the pan daily and refill with fresh water. Increasingly, modern air washes are supplied with ionizers: ions have an antibacterial effect, remove static electricity (especially in rooms where there are many appliances) and help saturate the air with moisture. Of the minuses can be called the need for hygienic maintenance of the device and noise: all the same, the fan is working and the drum is spinning.